HUNT Superdura Dynamo Disc Wheelset
60 Day Ride & Return Period
Please don't miss out, order now. HUNT wheels are in high demand due to their unique superior specifications. Please be aware that we are working hard to meet demand. Unfortunately sales often outstrip supply, so please order now to avoid disappointment.
Created for 'Josh' types (Ultra-Distance Heros) but also enjoyed by 'us' types (a bit less super-human, but still want convenience when commuting, training and road/off-road bike-packing).
A dynamo hub is a an ingenious idea, a small coil of copper wire that spins inside a group of magnets to produce electricity, effectively it is an electric motor in reverse. You can then connect up electric devices such as lights, and never need to worry about having to abandon your ride due to lack of light. Following a large number of requests for a dynamo wheelset, our HUNT began for a lightweight and durable wheelset that provides you with freedom from constant charging of lights for your on and off-road bike-pack adventures, fast commuting and daily winter training
The HUNT SuperDura Dynamo wheelset is the result. It features all of the fine details you’d come to expect from us, including our proven wide tubeless asymmetric SuperDura rim, extra sealed and shielded 4 Season Disc rear hub, and a seriously durable high 28-spoke build (of Pillar's light and extremely strong triple-butted PSR spokes). Even with the extra 240g of the dynamo hub, this wheelset (at 1821g) is still lighter than many disc-brake wheels fitted to bikes as original equipment.
For the HUNT SuperDura Dynamo wheelset we collaborated with SON (Schmidt Original Nabendynamo), we had long been aware of just how highly regarded SON are for their durability and performance. Wilfred Schmidt is incredibly passionate about dynamos so our chats with him excited our inner geek. Wilfred and his team have been engineering their dynamo hubs in Germany since their first prototype 25 years ago.
SON dynamos are renowned for their market-leading efficiency. When your light is drawing power (light switched on) the efficiency of a SON hub is an impressive 65%, so at the German testing standard of 3 watts / 6 volt dynamo output (11-12 mph with the SONDelux) just 4.6 watts of your rolling power is used. Of course the light is always available, so no realising you forgot to charge and having to abandon your ride.
With the light off/unplugged (e.g. day light riding) the graph below shows that for the SONdelux there is less than half a watt extra rolling resistance compared to a high quality normal non-dynamo hub. For a bit of context; for a 1 hour commute fast training ride, as very amateur cyclists here at HUNT, we would expect to produce somewhere between 160-250 watts average depending on our weight and level of fitness.
The deep thought and detail that goes into every SONdynamo sits well with our philosophy to HUNT for improvements in even the smallest details. The connectors used by SON are a great example; they are universal spade connectors available from most electrical retailers/suppliers/hardware stores rather than a connector that is unique to the hub design. This means that if the connector is lost or damaged far from home finding parts will be a whole lot easier.
These wheels are adaptable for 12mm and QR axles. They are not suitable for 15mm axles.
Dynamo specific AC power charging devices or lights (e.g. Exposure Revo) are required to work with dynamo hubs.
- Rims | 6061-T6 Heat treated. Tubeless-ready. Disc specific. Asymmetric for balanced spoke tensions and a highly-durable wheel build. ETRTO 622x20. H-lock bead-seat for easy and secure tubeless installation.
- Tyres | Extra-wide 20mm rim bed works with 25mm & 28mm tyres but great with gravel and CX cyclo-cross tyres up to 50c. Also work excellently with clincher tyres and tubes.
- Hubs | Hunt 4Season Disc dur able and adaptable axle hubs. Large double-sealed main bearings, 7075-T6 axle and freehub. Steel spline insert. SRAM XD Driver available. Centre-lock disc mount, 6 bolt disc adaptors included.
- Dynamo Front Hub | SONdelux 12mm with QR adaptor supplied. 3 watt / 6 volt output at 18-19kmh tested to German standard K687 for output requirement. See SonDynamo Information Here.
- Axles | Easily adaptable & we fit them for you. Fit all current axle sizes and are easy to change; Front - QR, Bolt thru 12/15/9mm, Rear - QR, Bolt thru 12x142, 12x135, 10x135.
- Included | Dynamo universal spade connectors and heat shrink, Tubeless tape & valves, spare spokes, spoke key, axle adaptors (please fill in the simple form after checkout to select your required size), pair of 6bolt disc adps.
- See the full specs here
- Weight | 1939g
- Tubeless-ready – designed to work excellently with normal clincher tyres and tubes or tubeless tyres. Hunt Black Shield tubeless tape fitted.
- H-lock bead-seat up-kicks for easy and secure tubeless installation.
- 6061-T6 heat-treated aluminium alloy.
- Asymmetric to balance spoke tensions.
- Disc-specific tubeless-ready profile.
- 25mm outer and 20mm inner width ideal for 25-50mm tyre widths.
- 24mm depth
- Matt black anodized finish with laser etched graphics for excellent.
- J-bend cold drawn.
- Made from high grade T302 (18/10) stainless steel wire by Sandvik Sweden.
- Triple butted 2.0-1.6-2.0 (then 2.2 at the head for the patented Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement).
- 32 spokes laced 3 cross front and rear.
- Black stainless treatment.
- Brass for anti-corrosion resistance.
- Square body for external adjustment and hex head for easy internal adjustment/tensioning. Hex/square spoke key included.
- 12mm length.
- 14 gauge
- Black finish
- Tyres Info
- Maximum tyre pressure for this rim is 120psi when used with an inner tube and 100psi when running the wheel set-up tubeless. 100 psi is more than enough for any rider on road. Click here to listen to a podcast exploring the science of why lower pressures were found to be faster by pro teams.
- Maximum tyre pressures for other tyre sizes 30mm do not exceed 70psi, 33mm do not exceed 50psi, 35-45mm do not exceed 40psi, 46mm+ do not exceed 35psi.
- Please do not exceed the maximum pressure stated on your tyre.
- Suitable for tyres from 23mm up to 50mm wide.
- Suitable tubeless road, gravel and CX tyres are available from a huge range of companies including Schwalbe, Hutchinson, Panaracer, Maxxis and many more. Schwalbe Pro One 25mm tyre weighs just 255g, is tubeless ready and is Schwalbe's class leading clincher racing tyre.
- Axle Size
- Set up 12x100mm TA on the front and 12x142mm TA on the rear.
- These wheels are also available with all existing disc brake road bike axle adapter sizes. All our axle adapters are easy to swap but we'll fit the adapters your bike needs to save you the work.
- Front Dynamo Hub
- SONdelux 12mm.
- 3 watt / 6 volt output at 18-19kmh.
- Tested to German road traffic regulations (StVZO) standard K687 for output requirement.
- Efficiency: 65% at 15 km/h in 700c wheel.
- No-Load Power Input: 0,4 W at 15 km/h in 700c wheel
- Magnets: neodym iron boron, 26 poles.
- Connection: 4,8 mm flat spades, 2-pin, to connect without ground connection (special design without connectors).
- Axle: hollow axle ø10 mm aluminium 7075 T6.
- Axle Ends: stainless steel.
- Bearings: deep groove ball bearing 629-2RSH (SKF).
- Hub Shell: aluminium 6082 T6.
- Sealing: alloy dust shields, rubber lip seals and pressure compensation system.
- Warranty: 5 years.
- Weight 395g.
- Rear Hub
- 7075-T6 heat-treated aluminium alloy freehub body.
- Steel Spline Insert freehub body reinforcement provides excellent durability against cassette sprocket damage to the freehub often seen on standard alloy freehub bodies.
- 4 pawl, 28 tooth engagement.
- Forged and CNC’d 6061-T6 heat treated aluminium alloy body.
- 7075-T6 aluminium alloy axles, 12mm front, 15mm rear.
- Polished anodized black finish with laser graphics.
- All axle adapters are available separately.
- Super smooth precision bearings with proprietary waterproof grease specially selected for even the worst weather.
- Sealed cartridge replaceable units.
- Dual full-contact seals.
SONdelux | Highly efficient, faster and lower weight.
Drop-bar road and adventure bikes are designed for going fast, whereas many dynamo hubs were designed for town bikes. The rapid advancement and incredible efficiency of LED lighting compared to older halogen bulbs has meant that lights such as the Exposure Revo (available as a package with these wheels - please click here) would run at its whopping 800 lumen output at just 10mph. SON realised that by using a smaller/lighter generator, they could reduce drag by an impressive 20% and still achieve the 3 watt / 6 volt output (800 lumens on the Revo light) at just 11-12mph. Even at 10mph, you will get upwards of 500 lumens from the Exposure Revo light! The super-fast SONdelux is the result of this innovative thinking... 20% better rolling resistance and lower weight, only 395g (the SON28 weighs 430g).
5 Year Warranty (incl. Bearings)
The unique SON Pressure Compensation System allows us to offer a you huge 5 year warranty on the SON Dynamo hubs including bearing wear.
SON Pressure Compensation System
All dynamos heat slightly during operation and then cool, the cooling of air in the hub body of most dynamo hubs can cause lowering air pressure inside the hub. This lower air pressure can lead to suction of water through the bearing seals significantly reducing the life of hub bearings. However, SON dynamos feature their unique Pressure Compensation System which consists of an air flow port on the axle cap and inside the axle (as shown below) and an air reservoir tube.
SON Dynamo Pressure Compensation Port
The SON Pressure Compensation System allows air pressure to be equalised, thus extending bearing life to a huge 50,000-100,000 kms. The tube (shown below) is long enough that water doesn't reach the end, and when the dynamo heats up again air pressure increases and any air and water is forced back out of the axle end of the tube preventing damage.
A strong and lightweight 6061-T6 heat-treated rim features an asymmetric shape which is inverted from front to rear to provide balanced higher spoke tensions meaning your spokes stay tight for the long term. The rim profile is disc specific which allows higher-strength to weight as no reinforcement is required for a braking surface. The extra wide rim at 25mm (20mm internal) which creates a great tyre profile with wider 25-50mm tyres, giving excellent grip and lower rolling resistance.
We chose the top-of-the-range Pillar Spoke Re-enforcement PSR XTRA models. These butted blade aero spokes are lighter and provide a greater degree of elasticity to maintain tensions and add fatigue resistance. These PSR J-bend spokes feature the 2.2 width at the spoke head providing more material in this high stress area. The nipples come with a square head so you can achieve precise tensioning. Combining these components well is key which is why all Hunt wheels are hand-built.
To accompany these high-end spokes we selected brass nipples for our Hunt 4 Season wheels. Brass is strong and corrosion resistant plus it has self-lubricating properties to prevent issues that can arise from grit salt on the winter roads corroding the fine threads in alloy nipples. As well as the standard square body we chose nipples with a hex head so you can achieve precise tensioning.
Bearings are the heart of any wheel and investing in them makes huge sense. This is why we use super smooth precision bearings with proprietary waterproof grease specially selected for even the worst weather in all of our 4 season wheels.
Durability is a theme for Hunt wheels as time and money you spend fixing is time and money you cannot spend riding or upgrading your bikes. This is especially important for a 4 Season bike you use regularly in harsh conditions. As a result all our freehub bodies have Steel Spline Insert re-enforcements to provide excellent durability against cassette sprocket damage often seen on standard alloy freehub bodies.
H-LOCK is our tubeless-ready rim bed profile with up-kicks to the shoulders of the tubeless steps which help to create a great rim-well seal for first installation and easy sealing of tubeless tyres. The H-LOCK profile also locks the beads in place more securely once seated. This is especially important when running lower pressures off road.
Our wheels are seriously future-proof. We can adapt your wheels to any current axle standard on the market, you just need to let us know what are your requirements by filling in the simple form on the confirmation page after checkout. As Shimano hydraulic brakes are appearing on many new bikes, we wanted riders to have the option so we went even more adaptable with centre-lock hubs and 6 bolt adaptors included.
At HUNT we enjoy the puncture resistance and grip benefits of tubeless on our every-day rides so we wanted to allow you the same option, but of course these tubeless-ready wheels are also designed to work perfectly inner tubes, just use tubes in tubeless ready tyres.
The consequence of the fanatic attention to detail is incredible durability and a resulting low 1939g wheelset weight.
In the Box
- Hunt Black Shield tubeless tape fitted to wheels.
- The axle adapters needed for your bike, just fill in the simple form shown after order completion, the form is also included in your order confirmation page.
- Cassette spacer for 8/9/10 speed
- Tubeless Valves
- Pillar spoke key for hex and square fitment
- Pair 6 bolt disc adapters
- Spare of each spoke plus nipples
- Quality control card signed by your wheel builder
A full 3 years from purchase date warranty is offered to the original purchaser only on all Hunt bike wheels against material or workmanship defects, please click here to read full details.
All HUNT wheels models have to pass our harsh cobbled-rolling-road tests for rider weight limits, please see here for more details. 120kgs is the upper recommended rider weight limit for these wheels. Please include the weight of any luggage in your total rider weight when choosing the correct wheels. If a rider is over 100Kgs then an experienced bike mechanic should check the wheel regularly and it is advisable to use minimum 25mm tyres at max 100psi as this will reduce the fatigue on the wheelset. We are cyclists ourselves and do of course go above and beyond to offer excellent service if you ever do experience any issues. We carry full spares at very reasonable prices and offer complete support.
60 Day Ride & Return Period. We are certain you'll be impressed by the acceleration, low-weight, speed and durability of our wheels. We are cyclists and as such strive to offer class leading service and support. Buy with confidence, if for any reason you wish to return the wheels for a full refund of your order you can do so up to a full 60 days after you receive them whether they have been ridden or not. Please note we cannot offer refunds on wheels that have suffered from crash damage but do offer a crash replacement discount.
"The best wheel award for 2018 goes to Hunt for making performance wheelsets with a hub dynamo. The Adventure Dynamo Disc is one option for 650B adventures, but their Search 29 Dynamo Disc mountain bikepacking wheels together with Mason Cycles are an equally solid option if you need a 700c/29er setup. Ride farther, charge you GPS during the day, and light the way at night – no batteries required!"
"Near-faultless performance and great value: a must for your list if you're looking into dynamo power"